Saturday, May 26, 2007

Top 40 Music Countdowns - Random Trivia Questions

I grew up listening to the American Top 40 countdown on the radio every Sunday as far back as I remember much of anything, which is when I was eleven years old. Before that, my recollections of music were mostly fuzzy, listening to AM radio on the car mono (definitely not stereo) from the back seat of a mold-green Dodge Dart Swinger. It's somehow reassuring to find that WICC is still around, even if I can't remember the last time I listened to AM music.

I got my first real radio (that is, I semi-permanently relocated my mom's AM/FM shoebox to my bedroom) when the Eagles "Hotel California" took over the number one spot (which marks the date as May 1977). After that, I listened to the countdown semi-regularly for the next half-dozen years until college intervened and disrupted my schedule (it's hard to listen to the radio when you're asleep).

Top 40 Music Countdowns Questions

  • Q1) In what year was the Billboard Hot 100 chart first published?
  • Q2) In what year did Casey Kasem begin counting down the American Top 40?
    • Q3) What is his real first name?
    • Q4) What countdown did he host for almost a decade between stints on American Top 40?
  • Q5) Who began his competing Weekly Top 40 in 1983?
    • Q6) What is his first name short for?
    • Q7) What song did he reach #1 with as a music artist on October 16, 1976?
  • Q8) Who both succeeded and preceded Casey Kasem as host of the American Top 40?
    • Q9) What was his original name?
    • Q10) What television talk show is he currently the announcer for?
  • Q11) Who took over as host of the American Top 40 in 2004?
    • Q12) Why do you know what he looks like?

No comments: