Saturday, March 24, 2007

Time - Random Trivia Questions

In the early 1980s, Styx sang "Too Much Time on My Hands". Those summers in high school were the last time I could have agreed with them. Miles Davis, Yes, and others echo my feelings ever since: "Tempus Fugit" ("Time Flies").

This week's themed quiz has nothing to do with the Alan Parsons Project song "Time" and everything to do with time itself. Even before I've written a single question, I know I will spend longer on this than I planned to, I will go to sleep later than I hoped, and my deadline will arrive sooner than I'd like.

Time Questions

  • Q1) In the United States, how many weeks longer will Daylight Saving Time be in effect in 2007 compared to what it would have been under last year's rules?
  • Q2) In the northern hemisphere, which season is the longest?
  • Q3) What timekeeping device connects North American black widow spiders, Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality book series, and Walt Disney's Aladdin?
  • Q4) What part of a sundial casts the shadow used for telling the time?
  • Q5) What did the ancient clocks known as clepsydras use to keep time?
  • Q6) How many days are missing from September 1752 because of the switch from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar?
  • Q7) What chemical element helps define the duration of a second in the International System of Units?
  • Q8) How many leap years will there be in the 21st century?
  • Q9) What adjective refers specifically to a year that is not a leap year besides "non-leap"?
  • Q10) Since the first leap second was added on June 30, 1972, what has been the most years between leap seconds?
  • Q11) What is the shortest of the following units of time: A. Attosecond; B. Planck time; C. Yoctosecond; D. Zeptosecond?
  • Q12) What is the highest of the following numbers: A. Hundreds of seconds in an hour; B. Thousands of minutes in a month; C. Millions of seconds in a year; or D. Years in a billion seconds?

No comments: